Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday's Week-in-Review

This week Greg and I went to Buena Vista where we stayed in a lovely inn, toured two ghost towns, took a walking tour of Leadville, read, talked, ate and played. It was good to have a little escape before the kids return from MI next week.
We drove over Independence Pass and were blown away by the views! We also got our first glimpse of Aspen (and we will definitely return).
On the return trip we walked around the ghost town of Independence. That was one of the favorite parts of that trip. We both loved the feeling of spying upon the lives of those who came here to find their riches in silver.
The Iron Building was one of my favorite buildings in Leadville.
St Elmo - the other ghost town we visited - was an entirely different experience. It is being cared for by local individuals as well as some local historical societies. The renewal is both exciting and off-putting. But I am grateful that when my children want to take their children to see Colorado's mining history they will be able to go to St Elmo.
The part I enjoyed most about St Elmo was knowing that my old friend, Shelly, is the great -granddaughter of one of the town residents in its short heyday. She still own his cabin. And he is buried in the small cemetery nearby.
I took many, many pictures as I always do. I can't wait to scrapbook this trip.

No comments: