Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cookie Season and the Things I Love About Cora

Friday began our latest season of cookie sales. When your daughter is 'SuperGirl-the-TopSeller' every year this means lots of time outside in the cold meeting neighbors, slipping on ice and talking with your child. Each time I discover again some of the things I admire most and love the greatest about this extraordinary girl. Cora knows that if she is to attend camp she must earn Cookie Credits -- or Girl Scout dollars which will help her to earn her way there. Doing this requires her to sell ... many, many boxes! Last year she sold 1,128 boxes. This earned her troop more than $550 and she earned $255 in cookie credits. I am grateful that she is so determined to do her best and works so hard for the two months of cookie season. So who is Cora? She is a tender-hearted, sweet, boisterous, funny girl. Bright, kind and honest. She says the truth as she knows it and though she is often too stubborn she does learn her lessons when they come her way. She is generous. And through Girl Scouts she is learning to be a problem solver. While walking today she saw I was struggling with back pain. She didnt use it as an excuse to escape the cold or go home and play after two very long days of selling. No... she offered to carry my oxygen for me! It surprised and delighted me. I love that she looks for solutions and is willing to shoulder the burden of her mother if it will help. It is a beautiful trait in a beautiful girl. My daughter's feelings are often on the surface and she is hurt easily. She expects the best in people and when she sees their worst it hurts her heart. And that, of course, hurts my heart. Despite this Cora is more than willing to forgive and moves forward with excitement at the clean slate which forgiveness provides. She isn't shy however. She laughs easily. Talks easily. And she has no problems introducing herself and asking for her sales when she visits a home. I listen to the confidence as she encounters each new person and I am impressed at how much she has learned through this opportunity. My lovely girl inspires me and I am grateful to call her daughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the days of girl scouting and the girl scout cookie drives! I remember them well with my own daughters.

What a wonderful tribute to your daughter. It's wonderful to have the awareness to do that for your children from time to time. It grows them well.

Aine
http://theevolvingspirit.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh yes the arduous days of the cookie sales. I do love what you wrote about Cora. I like what you said about the lessons she has learned from scouting bcz that to me is one of the most important reasons for being a scout: the lessons we learn, the experiences we go though and the knowing that service to someone is an important quality to learn as a child.

Vanessa said...

what an adorable child!!!! Cora is indeed a Super Girl!!!!!! Cheers for Cora!!!!! from Vanessa the U of Michigan Varsity Cheerleader!!