Monday, December 21, 2009

Childhood Dreams Realized

I am currently engrossed in a wonderful book written by one of the queen's of the scrapbook world. The Big Picture by Stacy Julian. One particular layout struck my fancy today. She titled it Shattered Horse Dreams. It had one small picture of herself as a child on a horse. The rest was journeying. She wrote that she always dreamed of owning a horse when she grew up until she fell in love with a man who was an asthmatic. The layout was delicious; it portrayed the dreams of her child-self and the contentment that her life has actually brought to her life. There was no regret in her words. It simply illuminated a small glimpse into her childhood. This layout provoked the question: What were my childhood dreams and have I realized them? If you look to my School Years books in which my mom kept my school photos, report cards, memorabilia and in which I wrote my desires, you will see my childish scrawl writing my hope to be a 'stewardess'. Every year it was the same. I wanted to fly! I never considered the possibility that I might be a pilot (or have any other aircrew job). I was a girl. 'Girls' were 'stewardesses'. What mattered was that dream of travelling the world for my job. I am not a flight attendant, and I never even tried to achieve that position. What I did was far better. I flew! Yes, I certainly flew. But I did it while serving my country and in a position with much more knowledge of flight than I would have had in that long sought after job. I only served four years and I still regret it today. Except... now I have a dream realized AND a new dream formed and realized. The dream of motherhood. I think it is time for another dream...

No comments: