Sunday, December 13, 2009

Forensics and New Evidences of Maturity.

Owen is on the brink... a boy of 13. No longer a child. Nowhere near manhood. On the precipice of true adolescence. Each day is a new experience; a new struggle. Sometimes the growing pains prove to be difficult for me. I find that his 'attitude' sometimes causes me great frustration, and often I react in anger. It is that word again. React. I wish that more often I would breathe, think and act rather than react. Thus the growing pains. It is not only my son who struggles with them. It is me. I am being forced to grow as a parent, and sometimes I do it only by being dragged into it while kicking and screaming. But yesterday my son provided me with evidence of maturity. It was a good day without those pesky growing pains. So, what happened? Forensics. The first tournament was yesterday. Owen competed and won the 6th place trophy. But, although I am proud of that win, it is not the evidence of which I speak. The first round was a difficult one for Owen. He forgot parts of his piece and fed the wrong lines to his partner. I watched him with a pit in my stomach. I left feeling sure their chances for the podium were gone, and sure that round 2 would be much the same. In the past Owen has struggled to change course once it was set. When he performed badly once it was certain to continue. If things began poorly, they continued poorly. So I was sure he would follow that path. Here is the wonderful evidence of maturity; of the path he is following as he grows: Owen performed well in the second round. He set aside his disappointment and he performed. This is a difficult feat for adults. So it is lovely to see from my child The road to adulthood. The growing pains will continue. I may even encounter them tomorrow, and if so I hope I will act. I hope I will avoid the folly of reacting. But in this moment I am content to revel in the beauty of yesterday.

No comments: